Someone I would want to switch lives with for one day
and why...there are two people I can think
of off the top of my head, they are Bruce Parry, an avid adventurer, and Huston
Smith, a religious studies scholar. Both of these men are people I consider
brilliant, brave, compassionate, adventurous, and philanthropical. There are
many reasons I would love to switch lives with them for a day, but the main
reason is to simply catch a glimpse of the vast amount of knowledge they have
obtained from their experiences.
In search of intellectual and spiritual treasures, Smith traveled to India to meet with Mother Teresa and befriended the Dalai Lama; he studied Zen at the most challenging monastery in Japan; and he hitchhiked through the desert to meet Aldous Huxley, dropped acid with Timothy Leary, and took peyote with a Native American shaman. He climbed Mount Athos, traipsed through the Holy Land, and was the first to study multiphonic chanting by monks in Tibet, which he recorded with Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead. Most important, he shared the world's religions with the West—writing two bestselling books and serving as the focus of a five-part PBS television series by Bill Moyers.
It is a deeply rooted belief of
mine that we are meant to learn all we can in this life. By doing so, we grow
mentally, physically, and more importantly, spiritually. I only hope to
continue doing so in my own life. The experiences I have already encountered
have changed my perspective in so many ways. They have given me a love for
people that I never before had, and an unshakable understanding that we truly
are, brothers and sisters.
You may recognize Bruce Parry from the BBC series,
Tribe, which also aired on the Discovery Channel (Going Tribal). This man is
absolutely amazing. He travels all over the world, living with indigenous
peoples, learning from them by participating in their daily lives, practicing
their rituals, doing everything that they, themselves do. He is perfectly okay
with leaving behind the luxuries of home to experience something different and
more importantly, to get to know and love those of other cultures. Bruce Parry
has had his nose pierced with a sharpened stick, lived among tribes who still
practice cannibalism, even had his nether region inverted by the Kombai--now
THAT was painful to watch! His interaction with people, and the love and
respect they have for him is heartwarming. I would love to be able to
experience culture to this extent. The experiences would most definitely be
life changing.
Huston Smith is equally as amazing. Like Bruce has
experienced various cultures and ways of life, Huston has learned, lived, and
experienced religions from all over the world, such as Sufism, Hinduism, and
Buddhism. The following summary of Mr. Smith can be found at: http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Tales-Wonder-Huston-Smith/?isbn=9780061154263:
Smith's life is a story of uncanny synchronicity. He
was there for pivotal moments in human history such as the founding of the
United Nations and the student uprising at Tiananmen Square. As he traveled the
world he encountered thinkers who shaped the twentieth century. He interviewed
Eleanor Roosevelt on the radio; invited Martin Luther King Jr. to speak at an
all-white university before the March on Washington; shared ideas with Thomas
Merton on his last plane ride before Merton's death in Bangkok; and was rescued
while lost in the Serengeti by Masai warriors who took him to the compound of
world-renowned anthropologists Louis and Mary Leaky.
In search of intellectual and spiritual treasures, Smith traveled to India to meet with Mother Teresa and befriended the Dalai Lama; he studied Zen at the most challenging monastery in Japan; and he hitchhiked through the desert to meet Aldous Huxley, dropped acid with Timothy Leary, and took peyote with a Native American shaman. He climbed Mount Athos, traipsed through the Holy Land, and was the first to study multiphonic chanting by monks in Tibet, which he recorded with Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead. Most important, he shared the world's religions with the West—writing two bestselling books and serving as the focus of a five-part PBS television series by Bill Moyers.
It is a deeply rooted belief of
mine that we are meant to learn all we can in this life. By doing so, we grow
mentally, physically, and more importantly, spiritually. I only hope to
continue doing so in my own life. The experiences I have already encountered
have changed my perspective in so many ways. They have given me a love for
people that I never before had, and an unshakable understanding that we truly
are, brothers and sisters.
2 comments:
Well done!
Thank you! I appreciate that!
Post a Comment