Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Looking Glass Selfie

"But first let me take a selfie!"
A great deal of articles circulating the media are talking about narcissism and the selfie. While it's true that a narcissistic person may find joy in posting countless selfies, I'm not so convinced that the selfie does in fact, equate to narcissism. As most of you know, I'm a psychology major and though I cannot claim to be an expert, I do try to look at things from many different angles before calling a spade a spade. When I think of the popularity of selfies, I think more about Charles Horton Cooley's "Looking Glass Self" than I do narcissism.

The Looking Glass Self tells us that in essence, our self concepts are heavily influenced by society and that we form our identities based upon how we THINK others see us. Now, countless studies have shown that we believe people think about us a lot more than they actually do, but all the same, we are heavily influenced by these perceptions. As such, I'm more prone to believing that selfies are not so much a form of narcissism, but more so a reflection of how we want to perceive ourselves and how we would like others to perceive us. There are always exceptions to the rules and social networking has created a breeding ground for true narcissistic personality types (everything in moderation, right?). I also think that we, as a society need to put more emphasis on who a person is and less emphasis on how they look. Let's praise people publicly for their good deeds, put everyday hero's on the covers of magazines and let up a little bit on inner thigh gaps, rock hard bodies and perfect skin. Yes, I'm a firm believer that true beauty comes from within. However, all in all, I do think the selfie gets a bad rap.

"As social beings we live with our eyes upon our reflection, but have no assurance of the tranquility of the waters in which we see it." -Charles Horton Cooley

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Richard Goode said...

This is a really interesting post, Mandy, thank you.
For quite some time I have been resistant to the blanket dismissal of facebook as a spawning ground for narcissism. Although I am sure that narcissists revel may in it, it just doesn't chime with my experience of it. I have formed some good friendships through it and more importantly, I have seen people develop and grow. One person was a virtual recluse and through the friendships she developed online she began to gain enough confidence to make trips outside and meet people. She has now made new friends in her neighbourhood.
Selfies like the development of online personae, can be hugely important in helping us to understand ourselves and how relate to the world around. It makes us aware of self-censorship, forcing us to acknowledge areas of our lives (bodies) we want to hold secret or are uncomfortable with. More importantly (I think) they allow us the space to creatively explore ourselves (in relative safety) and be the people we would like to be, but perhaps not have the confidence to do so (yet) in the outside world.
I love that final quote!!!

Mandy said...

My thoughts exactly. I love that you shared your friend's story on here. I definitely think the online persona and the ability to connect with people over the computer can build courage and confidence in those with quiet voices. As always, thanks for stopping by and for leaving such thoughtful comments!