As I mentioned in my last post, I had the opportunity to do some volunteer work in a Mexican orphanage this past Saturday. To say that my heart was warmed is an understatement. I know that it sounds so cliche, but truly, all too often we don't know how much we have until we see just how little other people have. The thing that often amazes me is how happy and humble these people can be, and just how much the smallest of things mean to them.
It's interesting how certain kids will choose you, and will cling to you over the other volunteers. I imagine that this type of thing is what assists couples looking to adopt in knowing which child is right for them. I had two kids "choose" me, a boy and a girl, and they were adorable. We played with the kids, sang songs, made them lunch, and gave them all Christmas presents. It was truly a wonderful experience.
Not only was it great serving at the orphanage, but us volunteers had quite a fun time while waiting nearly two hours to cross the border back to the U.S. We played the "Would You Rather" game, and tried nearly every food cart going up and down the lines of cars. The most questionable was a seafood drink that after a few sips, the guy who bought it chickened out and refused to finish it. After trying to pawn it off on everyone else, it inevitably found its way in to the garbage. My favorite food by far, was the fresh Churros, I would make another trip to Mexico simply to have some more of those!
Here are some pics from the trip. If you haven't volunteered before, I encourage you to do so. The smallest of things can make the biggest difference in the lives of many.
"There are two kinds of gratitude: The sudden kind we feel for what we receive, and the larger kind we feel for what we give."
--Edward Arlington Robinson










2 comments:
You are AMAZING!! Such great pictures!!
Thank you so much, Sally! I appreciate your sweet comment! I can't believe how big your kids are getting, they are so adorable!!!
Post a Comment