I have loved this poem for as long as I can remember. I was first introduced to it in 6th grade. I wrote it down and saved it, going back and re-reading it throughout the years. To me, these words are beautiful and there is so much truth locked within these few polished lines (at least in my interpretation of them). There is an abundance of things in life to be grateful for and yet, it seems that even if we are given everything we have ever wanted, we are still left yearning for something better, wanting to be something better ... Yes, we do tend to put too much emphasis on the "have not's" and not enough on what is.
So.....
Today, let's be thankful for the people who love us and stop wasting our energy on those who don't. Let's stop beating ourselves up for not accomplishing every grand goal we have ever set for ourselves and instead pat ourselves on the back for coming as far as we have. Let's stop wishing we had more money, a better car, and the latest electronics and instead be grateful that we are alive and able to experience the small things in life that don't cost a penny. Today, let's just be....
Life's Tragedy by Paul Laurence Dunbar
It may be misery not to sing at all,
And to go silent through the brimming day;
It may be misery never to be loved,
But deeper griefs than these beset the way.
To sing the perfect song,
And by a half-tone lost the key,
There the potent sorrow, there the grief,
The pale, sad staring of Life's Tragedy.
To have come near to the perfect love,
Not the hot passion of untempered youth,
But that which lies aside its vanity,
And gives, for thy trusting worship, truth.
This, this indeed is to be accursed,
For if we mortals love, or if we sing,
We count our joys not by what we have,
But by what kept us from that perfect thing.
And to go silent through the brimming day;
It may be misery never to be loved,
But deeper griefs than these beset the way.
To sing the perfect song,
And by a half-tone lost the key,
There the potent sorrow, there the grief,
The pale, sad staring of Life's Tragedy.
To have come near to the perfect love,
Not the hot passion of untempered youth,
But that which lies aside its vanity,
And gives, for thy trusting worship, truth.
This, this indeed is to be accursed,
For if we mortals love, or if we sing,
We count our joys not by what we have,
But by what kept us from that perfect thing.
Feel free to share your favorite writings in the comments. I would love to read them!
4 comments:
Mandy!! So good to see a post from you. You are so right, we really do tend to focus on the "have nots" a lot...I wonder why that is? Why can't we ever be content?
And that is a beautiful piece of writing. I think my favorite writings come from F. Scott Fitzgerald.
I hope you have a terrific Tuesday :)
Oh yes, Fitzgerald is a favorite of mine too.
:-)
I have Paul Laurence Dunbar's poem "Ships That Pass in the Night" taped in front of me, at my desk!
Greetings from Minneapolis,
Pearl
Thanks so much for stopping by, Pearl! I love that one as well!
Post a Comment