"Volunteers are paid in six figures ... S-M-I-L-E-S." -Gayla LeMaire
I love this quote. It perfectly describes the internal joy I have experienced while volunteering at the hospital, as well as the orphanage. I didn't get involved in volunteer work until later in life and it is probably one of the things I would go back and change if I could. I have a friend who inspired me to get more involved. She devotes more time to volunteer work than anyone I know and has no idea how much she has inspired me.
Nothing I have done with my time has been more rewarding than the time I have spent these last few months with patients. The resilience in these people's spirits blows me away on a daily basis. I have watched people come in with severe disabilities - unable to walk, stand, open their hands - and fight, fight fight their way back to fully functioning. The most amazing part of all is that a great deal of them do it with a smile! Sure, there are times of pain and yes, I have had to step out of the room to wipe tears away a few times, but there's no wallowing with the amount of strength these people display. They are amazing!
I definitely know without a doubt that I have chosen the right career for myself. It's taking awhile, but I'll be there soon enough. If you haven't volunteered before, I highly, highly encourage you to do so. Six figures could never bring about the happiness that a simple smile from a child or a patient can. We can pass our time in many ways but time passed in the service of others is time well spent. We all can make a difference.
1 comment:
Very, very true
Congratulations also with your university journey :)
Post a Comment