Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Moved by Music

I write about music a lot. I'm a sucker for lyrics so beautifully written and powerful that they can move you to tears. Music is an art. Lyrics, tempo, pitch can be intentionally manipulated to stir emotion and the results can be astounding. Music is poetry that can speak to all senses, evoking memories that have been locked away for years and seemingly forgotten. 

We all have certain songs that speak to us. One of mine is Other Side by Anne Murray. Whenever I find myself full of doubt or struggling, I turn to this song and it reminds me of the strength that each and every one of us carry within - that challenges in life are only temporary. Because this song has touched me so, I thought I would share it with you. I hope it inspires you as much as it has me throughout the years.

Two other beautifully written songs are Sometime Around Midnight and The Graveyard Near the House by Airborne Toxic Event. I actually wrote an essay on why Sometime Around Midnight to me, is art. The use of symphony in instrumentation, lyrics, tempo - everything was put together so well that the song speaks. The Graveyard Near the House is just beautifully written. I have the video's posted on this blog http://amandalynnu.blogspot.com/2013/06/poetry-in-music.html

What song(s) speak to you?

1 comment:

Richard Goode said...

Yes, there is something incredibly potent about words and music when they are matched together.
There are songs that have taken me through the darker nights, and music that has journeyed with me along the way, encouraging and nudging me along the right direction.
Thank you for introducing me to Airborne Toxic Event - beautiful and raw.