Thursday, December 20, 2012

Angels Come in All Forms

Yes, this little pipsqueak is an angel. I know that there are a lot of people out there who dislike cats, but I am here to tell you that cats can be every bit as loving as dogs; I should know, mine has always assumed she was one! This little lady is 18 years old and her health is quickly fading. She was given to me when I was 15 following an accident that nearly took my life. I remember bringing her home from the pet store and trying to sleep. I made her a little bed on the floor with some blankets and stuffed animals. She was tiny, probably the runt of the litter, and fit perfectly in between the big bellies of the teddy bears. I figured it would give her a warm, little cubby hole to sleep in, but she wanted nothing to do with it. She cried all night long. Finally, I lifted her up and put her on the bed. She walked over to me purring and laid down by my head. She then started pushing with her paws, curled up, and went to sleep-in my hair. I was so afraid that she was going to have an accident on me, but she never did and this has been where she has slept her entire life, always purring, always content. When I first met my husband, he didn't believe me when I told him that this cat cannot stand to see people cry. If she does, she is right there loving up on them trying to make them feel better with kitty hugs and kisses. I knew she was down in the basement and I started to fake cry. It took 3 seconds for that cat to come running up the stairs and start loving on me. My husband was amazed. Before her health declined, she would always wait for me at the door, just like a dog. At night when I was ready for bed, all I had to say was "bedtime!" and she'd run to the room. This cat has been my constant companion since I was a teen. We lived alone for quite awhile and she was always my little buddy. It will be so weird not having her here when her time comes.

My husband is highly allergic to cats so when we moved, I ended up leaving her with my mom, which broke my heart. To this day, when I go to visit and she hears my voice, she will run downstairs to find me. This last visit however, brought me to tears. My little baby is completely blind and can barely walk, but she still purrs and still gives kitty hugs and kisses. Something tells me that this recent visit was the last time I will see her. When I left, I went upstairs (she sleeps on the heater) to tell her goodbye and even though she is blind, she looked at me with her big black eyes and licked my nose. As I went to leave for the airport, I was standing by the front door when I saw her hobble down the stairs looking for me. My heart sank and I lost it. I know my mom will take care of her, but it's hard. Your pets do become your family and this little lady has been and always will be, my baby. I wish I could have taken her home with me, but there is no way she would survive the plane ride and on top of that, she does love my mom and knows her way around her house. I don't think I'll have another pet after Bubba passes away. No one could replace this sweet little angel. I'm so glad my mom bought her for me when she did-the purpose was to boost my spirits and she has....for 18 years and counting. 

3 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Adorable!! Ironically, I just posted about my cat recently as well. I love cats!! They are sometimes moody and difficult but I love them nonetheless. BTW you have a wonderful blog :)

~Keith

Mandy said...

Thank you! I really like your blog as well! It always amazes me when someone comments on here because I assume no one reads this thing. It's nice to know a few people stop by.;)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

You're quite welcome. I look forward to reading your future posts Mandy :)

~Keith