Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I'm also an Advocate for Running (tips from a non-expert)

Americas Finest City Half Marathon
Those who know me know that I love to run. I ventured in to this sport last year and will never turn back. The truth is, I had no interest prior to my husband convincing me to sign up for a half marathon. When I first started running, it's an understatement to say that I complained the whole time. In fact, I hated it. However, after I built my endurance up to 5 miles and eventually 13, I was in love.

A lot of my friends have asked me what keeps me motivated. Besides my new body, there are definitely other factors that play in to endurance. I've decided to list what has worked for me in case people are looking for pointers. Don't forget, I started this not knowing a thing while being completely out of shape. I know that running is very difficult at first and that it is very hard to stay motivated. However, trust me, if you keep it up you will begin to crave it. Anyway, enough of the chit chat, here are some of my tips for success.
  • If weather permits, try to run outside instead of on a treadmill. Find a nice route that offers you something beautiful to look at. You will enjoy running far more when you are out in nature, breathing fresh air and enjoying the view. It is also a major stress reliever. I'm kind of spoiled living in California where the weather is usually nice, but I've also ran outside in the cold while there was snow on the ground. It's equally fulfilling-just dress appropriately. My favorite place to run is at Mission Bay, from my house to the beach, or along the harbor downtown.
  • Listen to music that pumps you up. We all know this. I love Pandora on my iPhone.
  • Download the Nike+GPS app. It talks to you as you run, telling you your mileage and encouraging you. Every time you beat a personal record you are informed. I love it.
  • If you are trying to build up mileage, start small and increase it weekly beginning on Sunday. Your week should look something like this:  Tuesday 2 miles, Wednesday 30 min work out of your choice, Thursday 2 miles, Friday rest, Saturday 30 minute workout of your choice, Sunday increase your mileage by double, so this run would be 4 miles. The next week your weekly mileage would increase to 2.5 miles and your Sunday run would jump to 5 miles. Basically, you want to increase your weekly mileage by a half mile every week and your Sunday run by one full mile. This is the schedule I followed religiously to train for my first half marathon and I stopped training once I hit the 10 mile Sunday run. After that, my body was entirely capable of running 13 miles by race day.
  • Drink water along your run any time you feel you are losing steam. Drink lots of water all the time.
  • Try to follow a low fat, reasonable protein, high carb diet. Avoid sugar. You will notice a huge difference in your performance when you follow this guideline. 
  • Try Shot Bloks by Cliff or Gu Gel. I've tried both and I love, love, love Shot Bloks. I know a lot of people who like the Gu Gel too, but personally, the Shot Bloks worked better for me. Take these before every hour of running for energy. I actually take a lower dose every half hour instead or when I get tired while running. It works like a charm. You can buy these at most running stores or places like REI.
  • Push yourself by signing up for a half marathon even though it terrifies you. You know you paid for it and you have to do it, so it keeps you going. Once you finish your first half, chances are you will love it and be excited to do another, maybe even go for a full!
  • Encourage yourself. We all hit those points where we want to throw in the towel and walk home. Whatever goal you set for yourself, do it. This is another reason that I love the Nike+GPS app. With this app you know exactly whether or not you cheated yourself. When your body says it's tired, your mind can tell it that it's not. Mental determination is powerful..talk to yourself, tell yourself you can do it, push yourself, never say that you can't because the truth is, you CAN. 
Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate 15K (ponytail in pics = me looking like a boy:()

So, that's it for now. I'll post more stuff as I go. Right now I'm training for another half marathon in August, as well as a 5k obstacle run. Why don't you join me?

***After posting this, I realized that I forgot to mention breathing. Remember, breathe through your nose and out your mouth. Also, be sure to stretch!***

2 comments:

KT said...

Love running! I don't do it as much as I used it, but nothing puts me in a better mood than a good run. I love running halfs because they're long enough to challenge you, but not too long to kill you. If I lived in Cali, I'd run the half with you! Better yet, you guys should fly to Florida and fun the Disney Wine and Dine with me this year. It's in November. :-)

KT said...

*run the Disney Wine & Dine (although, it IS fun).