"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot." -D. H. Lawrence (1885 - 1930)
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
I Feel Like a Rock Star
That's right, I do. This past Sunday I successfully ran my first half marathon and finished in less time than I anticipated. My goal was to finish in 2 1/2 hours, and if I struggled, no later than 3 hours. I crossed the finish line in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Winning! (Did I seriously just say that?) Seif also did extremely well finishing in 2 hours 23 seconds. It was great!
This may not seem like a big deal to everyone. However, I have never been athletic and I have never played any sports. In fact, I have never even exercised until now! I'm also the type of person who, when it comes to these types of activities, continually tells myself that I can't do it, gets intimidated by others, and thus, I give up. Not this time. I told myself that I was going to stick to it and I did. Now I am completely hooked and determined to accomplish the Triple Crown for running 3 half marathons in a year.
I was so happy that my mom flew out here to support me. She was so excited for me and having her here really pushed me to do the best I could. She cheered me on throughout my run via the Nike Plus GPS, as did many of my Facebook friends. If you are a runner and don't have this app, you MUST get it. It.is.awesome. It tracks your time, mileage, and allows your Facebook friends to cheer you on. I used it all through my training and it was extremely helpful, especially when it came to race day.
Although it may appear trivial to some, this race was one of my biggest accomplishments and yes, I am proud of myself. I'm really looking forward to the next race in January and beating my goal with an even better time. Seif's on board, so it's a go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Way to go!!! You are an inspiration. I think it's a huge deal. I'm only up to five miles. Someday I want to do what you did.
I love reading the phrase "I feel like a rockstar" and seeing you raise your arm in accomplishment!! priceless
Post a Comment