Monday, February 1, 2010

For Mom

My mom doesn't hear how much she is appreciated often enough. I imagine that most children do this unintentionally to their parents. We just assume that they know we love them, and although I'm sure that they do know, they still deserve to hear it more often than on the occasional holiday card.

I didn't realize how little my mom heard that she was appreciated until I copied and pasted a post from Facebook about mothers in to my status. She cried her eyes out. I feel it's especially important to tell people how much they mean to you. I guess I learned this the hard way, being surrounded by so much death since I was young. I know that life is short and that you don't always have that second chance to tell someone how they have made your life better, and just how much you love them. So, this is for my mom who is far more appreciated than she could ever imagine.

Mom,

I know that I was hard on you in my younger years, and for that I am very sorry. I know that you always did the best you could and that all those times you told me "no", were only because you had my best interest at heart. You taught me from a young age to have morals, to be polite, and to always say my "please" and thank you's." These things stuck with me throughout my adulthood and have fared me well in all of my travels. People still always comment on how "dainty" of an eater I am, but I will never turn down food and I will always compliment the cook.

I may have felt like the "boring" kid in school, but now I am grateful for the fact that I didn't have the desire to party too hard, to dress trashy, or to get in to too much trouble. I had to italicise that because we both know that I got in to some trouble. I wasn't perfect, but thankfully you never found out about it until later! Being "boring" turned me in to an ambitious woman and I have you to thank for that.

I know we have had our hard times, but I wouldn't change it for the world because we are so much closer because of those times. You see in me what I don't see in myself. You are my shoulder to cry on, you are the only one I confide in, you inspire me to keep going and better myself, and you make me feel so loved.

I hope you know how much I love and appreciate you. If you ever doubt that, all you have to do is come here and read this. Seif loves you too (he made sure that I added that), and says you are the best mother in law he could ever ask for. You are also a wonderful grandma, sister, daughter, and friend. I'm sure Aurora is going to grow up and love you every bit as much as I loved my grandma.

Thank you mom, for everything. It's funny how we don't see things until we are older, but even when I didn't understand what you were doing, I knew you cared. I am proud that you are back in school. I have faith in you and know that you will do great, and finally find a job that you enjoy. Most of all, I am proud to have you as my mom. You mean the world to me. You are my best friend.

All my love,

Amanda

For Mom

Kind hearted woman with the beautiful emerald eyes,
her spirit that of an angel,
a heart that never lies.

Walking alone through the desert of life,
a thirst for love so sincere,
a pillar of strength for the weak and the lost,
a light in the lives she holds dear.

A rare diamond glistening in the sand
guiding others to inner peace,
only to sacrifice her own desires,
her inspiration
a calling she refuses to cease.

She is my example, my light, my truth,
she taught me all that I am,
the warmth from the sun upon my face,
on a mountain of gratitude I stand.

A tiny flower upon the cactus,
antique beauty wherever it lies,
that is she,
my mother,
my friend,
my angel with the beautiful emerald eyes.

-Amanda Utley


4 comments:

Robin said...

Well you made me cry my eyes out again girl. I love you so very much and don't you ever forget that. You really made my day.

Loves to you always.
Mom

Addison, Crew, Carter & Canon's Mama said...

This was beautiful!!!!

Jenny said...

Ahhhhhh, that is such a SWEET post! You write great poems! You always have!

Anonymous said...

*tear* GREAT post!